My parents gave me volume 3 of the One Tank Trips books a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been flipping through it. We already have volumes one and two. Each book has 52 Florida adventures that you can get to with just one tank of gas. Back when he wrote the first volume in 1999 gas was probably 1/4 price it is now, so I try to stick to the destinations right here in Tampa Bay. After searching through the books for a while, I realized I’ve been to many of these places, but there are still so many more I want to visit with my family. These books are just loaded with Family Day inspiration!
So I decided to start a Family Day To-Do List. It’s all the places Tampa Bay (and beyond) where I want to spend Family Day. It may take all year or more likely two, but at least it’s a goal.
- Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park: I want to see manatees and bobcats and other Florida wildlife.
- Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota: We get in free with our Great Explorations Membership for the month of August!
- Fantasy of Flight in Polk City: We get 50% off admission all year with our Great Explorations membership! By the way Dads get in free June 14th-17th with another paid admission (adult or youth).
- Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota: We get in free all the time with our Great Ex membership! Please tell me you’re all noticing an awesome pattern here.
- McGough Nature Park, AKA “Turtle Park” in Largo: I’ve heard from a few friends that this is a really cute park with lots of turtles, owls and other animals. It’s free and nearby, which means it’s perfect for Family Day!
- Brooker Creek Preserve in Tarpon Springs: I love the trails and the education center is full of awesome hands-on exhibits and it’s FREE! It’s been about 2 years since I’ve taken the boys, which is way too long. I think I’ll wait until Fall to go when it’s a little cooler, though.
- American Victory Ship and Museum in Tampa: This is the HUGE ship that’s in the Port of Tampa just behind the Florida Aquarium. We ooh and ahh over it every time we go to the aquarium, but I didn’t know that you can take a tour of it until I read the One Tank Trips book. My boys will love this! Admissions tops out at $10 for adults and kids 3 and under get in FREE!
- Honeymoon Island State Park in Dunedin: It looks like this island is to get to and has beautiful beaches and trails to explore. I hear it’s good place to find birds and seashells too! Looks like it’s FREE to visit!
- Myakka State Park in Sarasota: I’d love to take a walk on their nature trail. The Canopy Walkway is suspended 25 feet in the air near the tops of the oak and palm trees and there’s a 74 foot tower that gives a great view of the park. It looks like the only fee is $6 per car.
- Kennedy Space Center in Titusville: Now this place is a little farther and more expensive than the others, but this will be our big summer trip. We need some place to go when they tent our house for termites. We are so excited to go here. @VFFamilyInsider (Jill Martin) says the Rocket Garden is a must see! Our boys are going to love it. Lately they’ve been watch rocket launches, the transit of Venus and other cool NASA videos on YouTube.